Mould? What mould……I cant see any mould.

Did you know that mould can be an underlying cause to many health issues?

There are good moulds and bad moulds.  Moulds that are beneficial and moulds that are toxic to our body.  Did you know that mould can be an underlying cause to many health issues?

Some people are allergic or sensitive to mould. The most common symptoms of mould exposure are cough, congestion, runny nose or trouble breathing. Mould can also worsen asthma symptoms or other allergies.  Just because you can’t see mould, doesn’t mean that you don’t have it around you.

What is mould and where does mould come from?mould house

Moulds are simple, microscopic organisms, present virtually everywhere, indoors and outdoors. Moulds exist to break down organic material and recycle nutrients in the environment.   They need a food source to grow which can be any organic material, such as leaves, wood, paper, or dirt, plus oxygen and moisture.  Moulds digest organic material and gradually destroy whatever they grow on, even your furniture, walls and floor if they get wet.

Moulds release tiny spores and fragments which travel through the air.  Often attached to these are mycotoxins and allergens which are the main ways that mould affects humans. Mould needs water, oxygen and food to grow. It can grow almost anywhere there is water, high humidity or damp conditions.

Where can mould be found?

Not only can mould be found around your home – on your walls, in your bathroom, in your cupboards, but it can also be found on numerous foods such as:

  • Breads – especially sour dough bread
  • Over ripe fruits such as oranges, lemons, pineapples, banana’s
  • Tomato products – such as tomato sauce as they are made from old mouldy/rotten tomato’s
  • Nutsmould bread
  • Aged cheese
  • Vinegar and other fermented items such as soy sauce
  • Mushrooms
  • White onions (can contain aspergillus)
  • Yeast
  • Sour cream
  • Meat or fish more than 24 hours old,
  • Dried fruits
  • Bottled juice
  • Cooked rice more than 24hours old
  • Mould in or on food may not always be visible to the naked eye.

If you see mould on a food – it needs to be thrown away because as the mould grows, its roots can penetrate deep inside the food, where it cannot be seen.

For those who are sensitive to mould or have continual respiratory/sinus issues, removing mould from the diet and surroundings may make all the difference to your health.

If you think you are sensitive to mould or suffering from a mould related illness then there is help available. Sharyn is able to test what mould, or other environmental substance may be causing you grief and health issues. Once the problem is found then a solution can be found to treat the cause of the illness, not just the symptoms.

Get well from the inside out. Finding the cause, rather than treating the symptoms is Sharyn’s specialty.

 

Comments are closed